EXTREME WEATHER & SCHOOL CLOSURES
During extreme weather, the following procedures apply:
1. We will attempt to keep the school open unless it becomes a health and safety risk for our pupils and parents.
2. Assume that the school will be open unless you are notified by text that it is closed. Please note that sometimes, because of the large volumes of texts being sent by a small number of schools text service providers, it may take some time for the text to reach your phone.
3. Because of 2. above, school closures will also be advertised on the Ocean FM Radio Station. Please tune in to this station (102.5 – 105 MHz) for news of closures if you are in any doubt.
4. School closures will also be notified on our website, our Facebook page and Twitter feed. If you use any of these media, please ensure that you follow Scoil Ursula.
5. When the school authority decides to keep the school open, parents can decide if they feel it is safe to send their children to school. Exercise extreme caution at all times and, if possible, bring your children to the classroom door.
Decisions in relation to school closures are very difficult to make. Most of the time, they cannot be made until the morning as conditions can improve or deteriorate rapidly over a few hours. We therefore ask for your patience and understanding on these occasions. All decisions will be made in good faith and in the best interests of the safety of our children and parents. There will inevitably be occasions when notifications will be missed and children will arrive to a closed school. Our caretaker will be here to let them know that the school is closed. We are confident that if the above procedures are followed, these incidents can be kept to a minimum.