1. Make sure the atmosphere is happy and relaxed.
2. Find a quiet place where there are no distractions.
3. Sit down together so that both can see the book.
4. Let the child hold the book or show you what to do. – turning the pages etc.
5. Talk about the title of the book and any illustrations first.
6. Talk about what has happened and what might happen next as you read.
7. Talk about what you have read afterwards.
8. Ask your child what their favourite part of the story was and why.
9. Ask some open ended questions... How would you...? I wonder if .... ? Why is ...?
10. Give lots of praise for effort.